Every day we live on this planet, we are on a journey of self-improvement. I’m sure none of us wants to remain the same individuals we were a year ago – we all want to grow. The only way to find true happiness and progress is by developing useful everyday habits. That is the reason why I have compiled this list of useful everyday habits. It might look like a lot, but as you read on you will understand how much impact having good habits can do to your life.
This list is curated to inspire and motivate you to be the best version of yourself while giving you that required push to make that much-needed change in your life that would lead to self-love and better productivity.
The useful everyday habits have been categorized under sub-headings for you to understand it better. Read diligently through the list and select the ones you haven’t already started.
Tips On How To Use This Useful Everyday Habits List
- You can write a few of them down in a jotter and try them out for the rest of the day.
- Give yourself treats if you successfully implement these tips in your day. I eat a bar of chocolate as a treat for myself whenever I meet my daily goals, you can try that too.
- Write in a diary – it helps you to keep track of your day and also reminisce.
- A lot of the items in this article might come off as common. Just try adding some of them to your routine and you would be shocked at how much improvement you would experience in your life.
The Best Wellness Habits to Keep You Happy
Talk With Positive People
A friend of mine asked his 5-year daughter what would make her most happy. The little girl excitedly screams, “a purple donkey wearing a princess crown”. That is what she felt would make her happy, the question now is what would make you happy?
Is it the moment you can buy that new car, go on an exotic holiday or move away from your city to somewhere like Paris? Most of us feel that having luxury is equal to happiness. Experts have said otherwise – they believe that about 10% of people only relate their wealth to happiness.
What happens to that remaining 90%? Happiness comes from your general outlook on life. You can change your outlook in life by having conversations with positive people. There is power in talking to positive people – optimists.
Having a positive conversation can help you appreciate your life better. You become happier and more hopeful. When you are happy, you begin to notice the little things – your mind becomes open to new possibilities.
Just remember that when you are happy you would have less time to think bad thoughts.
Jot down the good things going on in your life
I started doing this about a month back and it has been amazing. It wouldn’t take so much time to do. 10 minutes every day is all it takes.
Let’s start small – each day for the next week, think about three things that made you happy during the day and write it down. Besides the list, write out a little explanation on why it went well. Also, note that I don’t mean a mental jotting, try to have physical copies of the list and try to write in as much detail as possible.
This is one of the most useful everyday habits you can develop as it helps you to refocus your mind on the positive aspects of your life, keeping you happy and energized.
Have you ever thought to wonder why laughter is the best medicine? An old Yiddish proverb that speaks volumes says, “What soap is to the body, laughter is to the soul”.
Laughter can be compared to participating in a mild workout. Why do I say so? When you laugh, you work some of your muscles, your blood flow increases which lead to a decrease in the stress hormones released and blood pressure. This is all physiology, so truly laughter is medicine and good for your wellbeing.
The John Hopkins University Medical School performed research that showed that laughter helps to improve mental performance. It improves your immune system and helps you sleep better.
With all these benefits of laughter, most of us still find it difficult to even giggle.
Bask in the sun
For a very long time, most of us have been living like vampires. We are so scared of the sun because we believe it would make us age fast or cause skin cancer. Thanks to the increase in scientific knowledge, research has shown that completely staying away from the sun can be a very bad idea.
The sun works to improve our lives in the following ways:
- It improves our mood. The sun works on some receptors in the brain that boosts the serotonin levels in the body a.k.a the feel-good hormone.
- It improves the sleep cycle. Melatonin is very important for a good night’s sleep. After you have spent some time exposed to sunlight in the day, more melatonin would be produced by the brain at night.
- It promotes the immune system. Vitamin D is associated with revitalizing the cells of your body which helps to beef up your immune system. Exposure to sunlight is a good way to increase your Vitamin D levels in your body.
Read also: 18 Neat Tricks to Survive the Scorching Summer Sun
Take a walk
Walking and jogging are useful everyday habits to implement in your life. Doing physical activities can just be as simple as walking through a park. Check out some of the benefits you can get from brisk walking:
- Improves your mood
- Helps better your coordination and balance
- Helps to keep you in shape and maintain the right weight
- Strengthen your bones and muscles, reducing the risk of bone diseases like osteoporosis.
- Reduces blood pressure and improves the condition of your help.
Purchase something new no matter how small
Most times, we don’t know the value of the little things or small moments. You need to learn to show yourself, love. Why do you have to wait till you have 1000 dollars before you can be happy? Doing little things for your self can make you happier than you would imagine. Treat yourself to goodies no matter how small
- Treat yourself to a manicure or pedicure
- Buy a notebook or a pen.
- Buy a book.
- Buy a scarf or a necklace…. The list is endless, just spoil yourself.
The Best Useful Everyday Habits to Help You manage Stress
Pregnant women practice the Lamaze method of breathing to improve relaxation during labor. Breathing is not just important because we need fresh air but because it is good for your health.
At least once every hour try to breathe deeply. How can you breathe deeply and right?
- First, you have to find a comfortable position. You take a normal breath. The next step is to take in a deep breath: You breathe in slowly through your nose so as to allow your chest and lower belly to rise as you fill your lungs. Then you allow your abdomen to expand slowly. Then you breathe through your mouth or nose.
- Secondly, once you have learned to breathe properly you can start controlled breathing. Close your eyes and imagine a beautiful scenery as you combine it with deep breathing.
Another helpful thing is to have a special breathing place. It can be in a corner in your room or a garden. Just find a location you feel most relaxed in.
We spend most of our time trying to build the perfect bod, spending most of our time weight lifting and doing squats. We forget easily that stretching is also important – maybe it is because its effect is not visible as bodybuilding.
Stretching is very important. After doing it, you would feel less aching, pain, increased confidence, and enough energy to conquer the day.
Peggy Hall, a wellness expert said this about the reason we feel happier after stretching, “That’s because stretching increases your blood flow and circulation for a healthier body and sends oxygen to your brain for a clearer and sunnier mood”.
Plus stretching is amazing for the glutes, improves your spine, balance, and posture.
Listen to calming music
There are many benefits that come from listening to calming and relaxing music:
- Reduces stress: When you listen to calm music, your body relaxes and your mind is elevated. When I do, I feel connected to my inner peace and the stress I feel is reduced.
- Relaxes your body
- Balances your life
- It is soothing for babies and children.
- It improves your concentration and helps you feel better.
Cuddling with a lover, friend, or pet can be very soothing. When you cuddle, there is a release of oxytocin into your system and this is the best painkiller you can find. When you feel crappy, just cuddle with your loved ones to feel good both emotionally and physically.
- Cuddling also increases cortisone levels which helps your body in fighting stress and also improves the immune system.
- The oxytocin mentioned earlier is also beneficial to the heart – it lowers the heart rate and blood pressure.
Even holding hands with a loved one can also reduce the stress you feel.
The Best Useful Everyday Habits to Improve Confidence
Stand up straight
Your brain pays attention to your posture. Research shows that your body posture affects your confidence levels. The study showed that the subjects who sat up straight and pushed out their chest felt confident and it showed improvement in their mood. They also had a better attitude towards the future.
The ones who sat slouched and forward were doubtful and had a lot of negative thoughts. Their attitudes towards the future were worse than when the research was started.
So in summary, when your mom told you to stop slouching it was because she wanted the best for you.
Have a mantra
When you hear the word confidence, your mind directly links it to be bold, brash, or loud. It doesn’t have to be so. Confidence can be quiet, gentle, and steady. One way to boost your confidence is by having a personal mantra. Check out some mantras you can try out to give your self-confidence a boost:
- The only approval I need is my own.
- I take joy in every positive step I take.
- My “failures” are stepping stones to success.
- It’s okay to make mistakes. I’m human
- I’m unique. I’m special. There is only one me.
The Best Useful Everyday Habits to Make New Friends
Did you know that the secret to making new friends all lies in your mouth? The reason why people want to make friends with people who smile a lot is that people are more attuned to positive emotions before forming new bonds.
In a study carried out, it showed that people are highly attracted to those people who display positive emotions like smiling than negative ones like frowning. Although I don’t see the point in carrying out an experiment, I wouldn’t want to be friends with a grumpy-no-smiling individual.
Make eye contact
I read an article on the art of charm that talks about the science of eye contact attraction. Making eye contact people with people is one of the easiest ways to make a person feel like you understand them. The simple gesture of holding a person’s gaze can ignite a deep feeling of affection.
Eye contact is one of the most fundamental skills you can possess as it is very central to the human experience. When you have eye contact with people, your words become more memorable and you are easily remembered.
Talk about common ground issues
When you bring up topics that you and another individual can relate to, you build up trust. Connecting with another individual on common ground is a pathway to building trust.
When you start talking with someone for the first time, avoid personal topics except you plan on chasing the person away. Don’t start a conversation by asking what an individual does for a living instead ask them what they feel about the weather.
First try to make a sincere attempt at engaging with them, that way you can make some long-lasting connections.
If there are more useful daily habits that you think can be added to this list, leave your thoughts in the comment section.